Pomegranates are one of the healthiest fruits on the Earth. They contain a range of beneficial plant compounds that have incredible benefits for your body.
The most significant thing about pomegranate seeds is their vibrant red colour. The colour comes from the chemical polyphenol which is a powerful antioxidant that can protect cell damage and reduce inflammation. That’s why incorporating pomegranates into your diet is a great way to get a boost of antioxidants and at the same time benefit from all the nutrients that the fruit offers.
Pomegranates can be tricky to peel and enjoy without spreading the vibrant colour everywhere and making a mess, so that’s why we recommend incorporating its juices into salad dressings, which will give any salad a great balance between acidity and sweetness. The juice of a single pomegranate has more than 40% of your daily requirement of vitamin C. So, by using its juices you can benefit from the fruit and at the same time, avoid the mess that comes with peeling it. When using pomegranate molasses you just have to be sure that it is not pasteurized, as this can break down the vitamins in it. Instead, it is best to opt for either homemade or fresh pomegranate molasses to get the most out of the nutrients. You can use the molasses in any dressing for any salad, but here we have a recipe for a spoon salad which is known for its perfect balance between tartness and sweetness.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cucumber
- 2 green peppers
- 2 spring onions
- 5-6 stalks parsley
- 1tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- Finely chop the cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and the onions and add them to a big bowl
- Chop the mint and parsley.
- Roughly chop the walnuts
- Save about a tablespoon of the walnuts for sprinkling on top of the salad. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing and mix them until they no longer separate. Pour over the salad and add the remaining walnuts on top.
Aysenur Tuba Gögenur